The M88A1G is completed 😀 This is the first kit that I finished in Jakarta, and also the first kit in 2011. M88A1G is a project for a military group build called “Modern Warfare” in Kaskus.us military forum. I think I have gone a little bit late from the deadline but at least it is finished LoL. So here goes 😀
This tank is a US designed and built Armoured Recovery Vehicle built on the chassis of the US M48 (A2) Patton medium tank by the former Bowen McLaughlin York, which went through a number of buy outs and mergers and is now owned by BAE Systems Land and Armaments. The M88 was to replace the M74 medium duty recovery vehicle, with the goal of using as many parts in in its construction from the new M60 MBT. Three prototypes designated T88 were built and followed by 10 pre-production vehicles for troop trials, which they successfully passed and the US Army ordered 1075 of the new vehicles designated “M88 Recovery Vehicle” in 1959. First introduced to the US Army in 1961 and production finished in 1964. It went on to serve extensively during the Vietnam War.
The M88’s primary role is to repair or replace damaged parts in fighting vehicles while under fire, as well as extricate vehicles that have become bogged down or entangled. The main winch on the M88A2 is capable of a 70 ton, single line recovery, and a 140 ton 2:1 recovery when used with the 140 ton pulley.
The M88A1G is the upgraded version of the M88. It still serve its role as a reliable recovery vehicle, including the most famous modern warfare, The Operation Iraqi Freedom. Perhaps you remember these images below:
The one who pulled down Saddam Hussein’s statue is an M88A1 Hercules which is built based on the M88. This is one event that make this Recovery Vehicle famous.
Even though I’ve build some military tanks before, building the M88A1G is a whole new experience. First, because it is a modern tank which deserve a different treatment compare to a WWII tanks. Second, a lot of ropes were involved to make the cables (ropes sucks..T.T). Third, I build this tank in my new home and during my new job…gotta say that I am more productive when I was still in my college days.
It was basically a simple build, no chipping paint so the weathering only comes from the heavy oil wash and some dusting by MIG Pigment. The color I used for this project is Tamiya Acrylic Paints. No diorama or simple base this time 😀 because there is no space to display this tank if it has a base. I probably gonna sell it (or just give it away) to someone because of this space issue..no problem since I have enjoy the process all along and it is all that matters 😀
Last but not least, I hope you enjoy the rest of the gallery below guys 😀