I have gather up the materials needed to finally write an airbrush tutorial. I’m gonna divide the explanation about compressor and airbrush to make the post not too long and better organized 😀
A compressor is very essential. This is the source of air, and up to this point, I can’t find no replacement (human lungs is no match to a compressor, trust me LoL). Compressor comes in various size, types, brands, and prices. When we talk about equipment, quality is an issue, and most of the times price reflect it’s quality. So if you have the money, don’t hesitate to invest it in a good quality equipment.
Based on their source of power, there are two types of compressor. The one that works by gasoline, and the one with electricity. I recommend the electricity since it doesn’t emits deadly smoke.
There are compressor that comes with an air tank and the one that doesn’t. here’s an example:The second picture (without air tank) is a Mr.Hobby Compressor, looks like a toaster huh? But the only thing that it could toast is your wallet 😀 If it were the same brand, the one with air tanks will cost you more.
So here’s mine:
This is my mini-compressor. It’s made in China and I don’t know the brand.LoL. It’s a pretty good bargain for a mini-compressor equipped with an air tank, regulator, and water trap. Up to now, this baby hasn’t letting me down 😀 Compressor usually have a very long age, and I hope this one does too .
let me explain the numbered parts,
1. The motor, this is the machine that creates air, compressor without air tank will only receive this part of the compressor. Pretty neat for those who have problems with space 😀
2. air tank, this is where the air is kept. When the tank is full, the motor stops automatically. It gives a time for the motor to rest a little bit. Unlike the one without air tank where the motor works continuously if the switch is on. Never forget to empty the tank when your done 😀
3. Regulator and Water Trap, regulator the tools to regulate the pressure of the compressor. I’m not really sure what is the most suitable pressure for airbrushing since I use the default setting in the compressor and it works pretty well for me. While Water Trap is the one filtering water from your compressor. I don’t really know why, but compressor also produces water in the process. Water Trap is important to make sure you only spray paint instead of mixing it with water. Some compressor are already comes Regulator and water trap, but others may need to acquire it separately. But this item is a must.
4. Power cable, the easiest way to find out what power drives this little beast 😀
Here’s a close-up shot for the water trap and regulator:
2. this part indicates ho much pressure and air left in the air tank
3. this is the air hose connector
4. this tube is where the filtered water goes. There’s a button underneath it which let the air in the tank and water in the tube out if you push it.
One thing you also need to pay attention when getting a compressor is the sound which it produce. some compressor sounds like a Truck running in low gear. But others (mine for example) sounds like a human being exposed naked out there in the winter, shaking, making sound, but not that hard :D. Getting the quiet one is always recommended, otherwise you got the whole neighborhood cursing you for the sound. We don’t want a bad blood with our neighbor because of our hobby right 😀
So this is basically what I know about Compressor. Feel free to ask anything, add an explanation, or maybe telling me if there’s something wrong in my explanation 😀
Explanation about airbrush is on progress and will be posted soon 😀
Hope you find this useful.